Howard University Hospital
Howard University was founded in 1865 and is known worldwide for academic excellence and community service. Howard University Hospital (HUH) opened in the fall of 1975, replacing the Freedman's Hospital circa 1862. The legacy of community services established by its predecessor – The Freedmen's Hospital – is mirrored through a myriad of primary and specialty care services currently provided at HUH. These include, but are not limited to, a Cancer Center, a Sickle Cell Center, a Diabetes Treatment Center, a kidney transplant program, the Perinatal Diagnostic and Ultrasound Center and neonatal care units. On an annual basis, approximately 12,000 patients are admitted, with more than 100,000 out-patient visits being made to HUH. As a major teaching resource, "the symbiotic relationship" between HUH and the Howard University Health Science Colleges is obvious in that together they are responsible for training more than 20 percent of this nation's African American health professionals. In fact, HUH continues to be a valuable medical resource by maintaining teaching programs in 18 specialties. The drive to fulfill its heritage and tradition of being the center for service, education and research will not only ensure its longevity, but will sustain its legacy in the 21st Century.
The Hospital sponsors the following training programs:
Residencies – clinical pharmacy, dermatology, family medicine, general dentistry, general surgery, internal medicine, neurology, obstetrics/gynecology, ophthalmology, oral surgery, orthopedic surgery, pathology, podiatry, and psychiatry.
Fellowships – cardiology, endocrinology, gastroenterology, addiction medicine, infectious diseases, and pulmonary disease.
Residents/Fellows are assigned to training in specialty services which are approved by either the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME), the American Dental Association, the American Society of Health Systems Pharmacists, or the American Podiatric Association. Programs are approved for one to five years of training with an established number of residents regulated by the accrediting body for each training program.