How To Apply
Applying to the Howard University Hospital Residency Program
- Applicants must submit an ERAS Application and be registered to participate in the Match through NRMP
- Only completed applications will be considered by the Selection Committee
- At least 3 Letters of Recommendation; one should be from the Program Director
- USMLE Step-1, Step-2 CS & CK First Attempt Passing Scores Only
- We do not mail application packets or program brochures
- US Medical School Graduates: submit the ERAS application materials to your medical school Dean's Office
- Foreign Medical School Graduates:
- USMLE Step-3 is required (passing score, first attempt)
- We consider Permanent Residents/Green Card Holders. J-1 Visas must apply through ECFMG.
- Applicants are encouraged to submit materials as early as possible. Only ERAS applications will be considered. Please do not submit applications via fax, mail, or email.
- Interview invitations are sent through ERAS. If you receive an invitation, please rsvp as soon as possible. Our interviews will be in November, December and January. (specific dates TBA)
- We have 4 residents per class.
- The Department participates in the NRMP. Applicants are required to be registered with both the NRMP and ERAS in order to participate in the Match. Please also be sure to indicate on your ERAS application that you are registered with NRMP.
- We require, in addition to the MSPE (Dean's Letter), THREE letters of recommendation, one of which must be from the OB/GYN Chair. You may submit four letters if you wish.
All applications received through ERAS will be reviewed. The decision to invite an applicant for a required interview will be based on a review of the following factors in combination:
- Medical School and reputation.
- USMLE Step-1, Step-2 CS and Step-2 CK scores- passing scores are required.
- Elections to Alpha Omega Alpha Medical School Honor Society, if applicable.
- Medical School transcript.
- Strength of Dean's Letter and three letters of recommendation (an OB/GYN PD & Chair's letter is recommended).
- Commitment to publish research.
- Demonstrated commitment to the field
- Demonstrated commitment to underserved populations
The interview process will consist of:
- A detailed application review is conducted by the Selection Committee.
- Candidates are interviewed by the Program Director, Associate Program Director, Faculty, Residents, and Staff.
- Breakfast and Orientation.
- A facility tour.
- An informal social gathering with Residents the night before the Interview.
It is the candidates’ responsibility for travel and lodging.
Program Specific Application Requirements
We prefer to have a step 2 Clinical Knowledge score in order to consider an application.