Kebreten F. Manaye, M.D.
Professor and Chair
Office: Numa P. G. Adams Bldg., Suite: 2420
Office Telephone: 202-806-6336/6330/9790
Laboratory: Numa P. G. Adams Bldg.,
Laboratory Telephone: 202-806-3314
Aristotle University, Medical School, Greece
Fellow Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, TX
- Medical, Graduate, Dental and Allied Health students
McDonnell’s Foundation, NINDS /NIH
My research program has focused on understanding the mechanisms that underlie neurological and neurodegenerative illnesses that are associated with brain aging. For these studies I use a diverse range of stereological, neuroethnological, neuroimaging, biochemical, and behavioral approaches to understand normal aging of the brain, neuropathology of aging and comparative work aimed at elucidating neuronal mechanisms of dementia, depression, and other comorbidities. Additionally, I have worked to examine the neurobiological substrates that degenerate in these conditions, and to develop potential approaches to treatment of affected patients utilizing animal, in vitro, and in vivo models. We have found a mouse model of Alzheimer’s disease (AD) that exhibits similar neuropathology to that found in humans with AD and depression, and have delayed pathological progression with 17-α estradiol treatment.
In addition, my lab is working on examining the evolutional differences in the cortex, hypothalamus and brainstem regions between apes and humans to understand the neuronal circuitry related to social bonding, emotions and cognition in human and closely related primates’ species. Humans and primates share 98 % of DNA homology which may provide insight into the neurobiological basis for human disorders.
- Kebreten F Manaye and William Rebeck G (2014) Possible APOE Genotype and Sex
- Dependent Effects of 17-α- estradiol on Alzheimer’s Disease Pathology, (Editorial,
- J. Alzheimer’s Disease and Parkinsonism).
- LaClair KD, Manaye KF, Lee DL, Allard JS, Savonenko AV, Troncoso JC, Wong PC (2013) Treatment with bexarotene, a compound that increases apolipoprotein-E, provides no cognitive benefit in mutant APP/PS1 mice. Mol Neurodegener, 8: 18
- Brown D, Ramlochansingh C, Manaye KF, Tizabi Y (2013) Nicotine promotes survival of cells expressing amyloid precursor protein and presenilin: implication of Alzheimer’s disease Neurosci Lett. 535: 57-61
- Shaffery JP, Allard JS, Manaye KF, Roffwarg HP (2012) Selective Rapid Eye movement Sleep Deprivation Affects Cell Size and Number in Kitten Locus Coeruleus. Frontiers in Sleep and Chronobiology. Front Neurol, 3: 69
- Tizabi Y, Bhatti BH, Manaye KF, Das JR, Akinfiresoye L (2012) Antidepressant-like effects of low ketamine dose is associated with increased hippocampal AMPA/NMDA receptor density ratio in female Wistar-Kyoto rats. Neuroscience, Jun 28; 213: 72-80 Epub 2012 Apr 19
- Nyantekyi LA, Legesse M, Belay M, Tadesse K, Manaye KF, Macias C, Erko B (2012) Intestinal parasitic infections among under-five children and maternal awareness about the infections in Shesha Kekele Village, Wondo Genet, Southern Ethiopia Ethiop J Health Dev
- Manaye KF, Mouton PR, Xu G, Drew A, Lei DL, Sharma Y, Rebeck GW, Turner S (2011) Age-related loss of noradrenergic neurons in the brains of triple transgenic mice. Age, 35(1): 139-47
- Allman JM, Tetreault NA, Hakeem AY, Manaye KF, Semendeferi K, Erwin JM, Park S, Goubert V, Hof PR (2011) The von Economo neurons in the frontoinsular and anterior cingulate cortex. Ann N Y Acad Sci, Apr; 1225: 59-71
- Kalifa S, Polston EK, Allard JS, Manaye KF (2011) Distribution patterns of cannabinoid CB1 receptors in the hippocampus of APPswe/PS1ΔE9 double transgenic mice. Brain Res, 1376: 94-100
- Manaye KF, Allard JS, Kalifa S, Drew AC, Xu G, Ingram DK, de Cabo R, Mouton PR (2011) 17α-estradiol attenuates neuron loss in ovariectomized Dtg AβPP/PS1 mice. J Alzheimers Dis, 23(4): 629-39