Research in my laboratory is focused on characterization of the biological effects of natural compounds on prostate cancer using in vitro and in vivo models to target novel molecular products. For instance, we were able to show that MSKE (muscadine grape skin extract) inhibits prostate cancer cell lines including LNCaP by targeting biological markers (AR, HSP90, and HSP70) involved in the androgen mediated pathway. In addition, we are collaborating with a chemist at Howard University to characterize and isolate the active fraction of the muscadine grape skin extract. Moreover, we have preliminary in vivo data which complements the in vitro growth data showing that MSKE inhibits PC-3 prostate tumor growth. The PC-3 xenograft in vivo data is being compared to the in vitro data which shows that MSKE inhibits PC-3 cell growth and induces cell cycle arrest by targeting heat shock protein 40 and clusterin. Overall, my lab is committed to evaluating biomarker based approaches that would allow for the development of chemopreventive or clinical treatment strategies that employ low toxicity natural compounds and/or conventional agents, and to understand how they act to suppress, delay, or reverse tumorigenesis in prostate cancer.
Selected Refereed Publications
- Hudson, T., Carlson, B., Hoeneroff, M., Young, H., Sordillo, L., Muller, W., Hatfield, D., and Green, J. 2012. Selenoproteins reduce susceptibility to DMBA-induced mammary carcinogenesis. Carcinogenesis. Published online March 20th, DOI:10.1093.
- Hudson, T., Perkins, S., Hursting, S., Young, H., Kim, Y., Wang T-C., and Wang, T. 2012. Inhibition of androgen-responsive LNCaP prostate cancer cell tumor xenograft growth by dietary phenethyl isothiocyanate correlates with decreased angiogenesis and inhibition of cell attachment. International Journal of Oncology. 40, 1113-1121.
- Lee, D., Wilson, J., Duan, R., Hudson, T., and El-Marakby, A. 2011. Peroxisome proliferator activated receptor-a activation decreases mean arterial pressure, plasma interleukin-6 and COX-2, while increasing renal CYP4A expression in an acute model of DOCA-salt hypertension. PPAR Res., 1-7.
- Wang, T., Hudson, T., Wang, T-C, Kim, Y., Seifried, H., Vinyard, B., Perkins, S., and Hursting, S. 2008. Differential effects of Resveratrol on androgen responsive LNCap human prostate Cancer cell in culture and xenograft models. Carcinogenesis. 90, 2001-2010.
- Hudson, T., Hartle, D., Hursting, S., Nunez, N., Wang, T., Young, H., Arany, P., Green, J. 2007. Inhibition of prostate cancer growth by muscadine grape skin extract and Resveratrol through distinct mechanisms. Cancer Research. 67, 8396-8405.