Thank you for your interest in our program at Howard University Hospital, currently the only ophthalmology residency program associated with a Historically Black College of University medical school.
We are a small but strong department that fosters close-knit relationships between our medical students, residents and faculty. Our residents leave feeling well-prepared to enter autonomous practice as comprehensive ophthalmologists in private or academic settings, or to continue on into sub-specialty fellowship training.
Strengths of our program that I would like to highlight include:
• Robust volume of clinical and surgical procedures performed across multiple sites, with strong support in surgery at all sites.
• Exposure to diverse and complex clinical pathology and opportunity for varied experiences through multiple rotation sites, which further enhance the clinical experience.
• Strong support for scholarly activity through departmental programs and resident participation in local and national conferences.
• Faculty and resident interest in providing care to underserved patients through our routine clinics and community outreaches, and investigating disparities in ocular disease.
• Close faculty supervision and mentorship at primary site, as well as availability of faculty members from most subspecialties of ophthalmology at the primary site, ensuring a well-rounded clinical training.
• A well-devised and executed academic curriculum with protected time for lectures, as well as unique learning experiences, such as electrophysiology exposure at the Orlando VA.
• Advanced techniques and technologies across the multiple sites, for example, exposure to new micro-invasive glaucoma techniques, certification of residents in femto-laser assisted cataract surgery, and use of surgical simulation practice with the EyeSi machine.
We look forward to sharing more about our program and getting to know you better.