How to Apply:
- The student must a U.S. citizen, hold a permanent resident visa or have DACA status
- Be a college freshman or sophomore
- Be a member of socioeconomic, educationally disadvantaged or an ethnic group that is traditionally underrepresented in the healthcare professions.
- Demonstrate a strong desire to serve the underserved community and address and alleviate health disparities
- Have an overall GPA of 2.5 +, or equivalent academic credentials and,
- Have a strong letter(s) of recommendation
To apply to the program visit. www.shpep.org
Academic Credit: No
Meals: To be provided: (3) meals a day / (7) days a week at Howard University Hospital Cafeteria. However, scholars can purchase food from area restaurants and vendors at their own discretion and expense.
Expenses: Students/scholars should bring funds to cover at least (2) weeks of expenses.
Housing: Scholars and their resident advisors will be housed in either College Hall or The Towers dormitories. Room assignments are unisex and you will have a roommate (double or triple rooms). All dormitories have community rooms, study rooms, wireless internet, air conditioning, and work out facilities.
Mandatory Medical Tests and Immunizations and Health form Submission
- All confirmed scholars must have a current tuberculosis (TB) WITHIN (6) months of the start of the program. If your present results are outside the (6) month window you will have to have a new test. The program start date is May 31st, 2020
- Test options include the TWO - STEP PPD Skin test is required for certification or the TB Gold Blood Test (Quantiferon Gold/T-Spot Test). POSITIVE OR INCONCLUSIVE TB RESULTS MEANS YOU WILL HAVE TO PROVIDE ADDITIONAL PROOF OF A CHEST X-RAY AND/ OR APPROPRIATE MEDICAL DOCUMENTATION IF REQUESTED. SCHOLARS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO CHECK-IN TO THE DORM OR TAKE PART IN THE PROGRAM WITHOUT A CURRENT TB TEST. NO EXCEPTIONS***
- All immunization and medical records must be provided to SHPEP. Submitted medical forms must be signed by the required healthcare professional. No Exceptions****
- Medical Form Submission- Confirmed scholars must submit their forms to a HIPAA secured fax line. The fax line will be provided in your acceptance package from the program.
- All medical forms must be submitted to the SHPEP office not the Student Health Center. Once medical records are reviewed they will be submitted to the Howard University Student Health Center for a final review.
- If forms are not approved by Student Health prior to the start of the program, scholars will not be able to participate in clinical simulations events; No exceptions****
- Howard University nor SHPEP will not provide financial support/assistance for medical testing or services.
Matriculation and requirements to receive the SHPEP certificate-program completion.
Students must complete full (6) weeks to matriculate from program.
- Students must complete all surveys.
- Violation of the rules and regulations within Program manual will also result in termination of program.
Health Insurance: Scholars must provide their own private insurance; however, basic health care services will be offered by the Howard University Student Health Center for the SHPEP scholars for those who cannot provide it.
Clinical: Simulation center and clinical shadowing opportunities
SCHOLARS SHARE THEIR LIFE CHANGING AND CAREER AFFIRMING EXPERIENCES AND MORE! A TEAM BASED, CULTURALLY COMPETENT INTERPROFESSIONAL APPROACH!