How to Apply:
- The student must a U.S. citizen, hold a permanent resident visa or have DACA status
- Be a college freshman or sophomore
- Be a member of socioeconomic, educationally disadvantaged or an ethnic group that is traditionally underrepresented in the healthcare professions.
- Demonstrate a strong desire to serve the underserved community and address and alleviate health disparities
- Have an overall GPA of 2.5 +, or equivalent academic credentials and,
- Have a strong letter(s) of recommendation
To apply to the program visit. www.shpep.org
Academic Credit: No
Meals: To be provided: (3) meals a day / (7) days a week at Howard University Hospital Cafeteria. However, scholars can purchase food from area restaurants and vendors at their own discretion and expense.
Expenses: Students/scholars should bring funds to cover at least (2) weeks of expenses.
Housing: Scholars and their resident advisors will be housed in either College Hall or The Towers dormitories. Room assignments are unisex and you will have a roommate (double or triple rooms). All dormitories have community rooms, study rooms, wireless internet, air conditioning, and work out facilities.
Mandatory Medical Tests and Immunizations and Health form Submission
- All confirmed scholars must have a current tuberculosis (TB) WITHIN (6) months of the start of the program. If your present results are outside the (6) month window you will have to have a new test. The program start date is June2nd,2019.
- Test options include the TWO - STEP PPD Skin test is required for certification or the TB Gold Blood Test (Quantiferon Gold/T-Spot Test). POSITIVE OR INCONCLUSIVE TB RESULTS MEANS YOU WILL HAVE TO PROVIDE ADDITIONAL PROOF OF A CHEST X-RAY AND/ OR APPROPRIATE MEDICAL DOCUMENTATION IF REQUESTED. SCHOLARS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO CHECK-IN TO THE DORM OR TAKE PART IN THE PROGRAM WITHOUT A CURRENT TB TEST. NO EXCEPTIONS***
- All immunization and medical records must be provided to SHPEP. Submitted medical forms must be signed by the required healthcare professional. No Exceptions****
- Scholars must submit blood titers results for MMR, Hepatitis B and Varicella (Chicken Pox) – No Exceptions****
- Medical Form Submission- Confirmed scholars must submit their forms to a HIPAA secured fax line. The fax line will be provided in your acceptance package from the program.
- All medical forms must be received to be processed timely by the Howard University Student Health Center.
- If forms are not approved by Student Health prior to the start of the program, scholars will not be able to participate in clinical rounds/shadowing events; No exceptions****
- Howard University nor SHPEP will not provide financial support/assistance for vaccines, titers, medical tests and procedures. Each Scholar is solely responsible for the financial cost of these medical tests and/or services.
- Matriculation and requirements to receive the SHPEP certificate-program completion.
In addition to course assignments scholars must complete all surveys and on-line training modules to matriculate from SHPEP. Scholars that fail to complete mandatory program components or violate other rules and regulations will not receive their certificate.
Health Insurance: Scholars must provide their own private insurance; however, basic health care services will be offered by the Howard University Student Health Center for the SHPEP scholars for those who cannot provide it.